This Italian grilled eggplant (also known as ‘contorno’) is very easy to do! Traditional Italian recipe often cooked during the summer, when abundance of basil and parsley growing in gardens. Works well with zucchini, too!
Italian Grilled Eggplant with Basil and Parsley (Melanzane Grigliate al Basilico e Prezzemolo)
- 1 eggplant, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate.
- Brush eggplant lightly with olive oil on both sides. Stir together remaining olive oil, garlic, and salt in a small bowl.
- Arrange eggplant slices on the preheated grill and cook, turning occasionally, until tender and browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Arrange grilled eggplant on a platter. Brush with the olive oil and garlic mixture until eggplant has absorbed the oil. Sprinkle with the chopped basil and parsley and serve.
Tips: Can be served warm or at room temperature. Leftovers taste great on a panini.